Tuesday 3 November 2009

DO YOU WANT A FREE BOOK?

I got an e-mail this morning from the Tax Payers Alliance offering me a free book. This book (available free to the first 5,000 applicants) is written by an academic and envisages Britain in the future - 10 years after it has taken the courage to break free from the European Union. The book, by Dr Lee Rotherham is called "Ten Years On, Britain Without The European Union".


I can't give you a review of the book - so I don't know whether it is a brilliant read or badly written - but if I waited to do a review before blogging then my readers would lose the opportunity to apply for one of the first 5,000 free copies.

Use this website address:-

http://www.greateudebate.com/

to get an opportunity to be in the first 5,000 applications. You'll have to cut and paste it, for some reason it won't add as a link*. I applied at 11am today and got back the message that my free book was on its way.

Regular readers will know that I feel most strongly that the European Union is developing in a very undemocratic way and already it has a significant influence over virtually every aspect of our daily lives. I truly believe that in the years to come its democratic deficit together with the minimal influence that Britain has within the EU will lead to situations similar to those experienced with the IRA for Ireland or ETA for the Basques. Make no mistake, the EU is on a federalist path which aims to eliminate sovereign nation states and instead create a United States of Europe with an ethos and way of life quite alien to the traditional British way. Let's be friendly next-door neighbours with the rest of Europe and trade freely with them but lets not live in some giant commune totally under the thumb of "Big Brother".

If you decide to get the book do let me know what you think of it. I'll do a review here in due course.

* perhaps Big Brother is watching?

6 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

Ordered my book... so agree with you. Very worrying how bullish the EU is... will read the book with great interest. Thanks hugely for the tip. Was reading about John Dewey today... trying to find a good quote for our prospectus... he has some good ones... but he was someone who believed in there being not only voting rights but also fully informed public opinion... I dont think we're getting that with the old EU. what do you think?
Thanks again... nothing like a free book!x

Troy said...

LWM - glad you've been able to order the book. Regarding your "fully informed" question - I think we are getting deliberate deceit (just damn lies) when it comes to being given information on EU costs/benefits by the pro-Europe lobby within Labour and the LibDems.

cheshire wife said...

Thank you for the offer. I shall let someone else have my copy of the book as I have quite a pile of books to read.

Troy said...

cheshire wife - I guess it depends if you put the new books on top of the pile! I appreciate that(here comes the understatement)this book will not be to everybody's taste.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Politics and politicians. Yawn, yawn.And over my lifetime I have met many. Can't think of even one from parish council level upwards who was not driven by power and ego. (Though they would all protest otherwise.)

Troy said...

Ken - I think MPs should all be over 50 years old and have had proper jobs already. And be limited to 3 elections (15years). Maturity and experience - more public service and less power and ego.
Don't desert me - next posting won't be political!