Monday 9 March 2009

INTRODUCING IGNATIUS

We have a new member of the Troy household. In fact, we've had him since Christmas and I've been rather remiss at not introducing him to you before now. You are almost certainly aware (especially if you live in the UK) of the expression "A dog is for life not just for Christmas" and the Troy Family totally support and endorse that sentiment. So I can advise you that we haven't got ourselves a dog although Troy would very much like one. Pets can tie you down at holiday times and I'm sure that Mrs Troy had that in mind when she was choosing what to get me for Christmas. I think, and I'm no mind reader, that she was looking for something significantly more self-reliant as she already has a small child and a "large child" to look after.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, she went out just before Christmas to get me this present, wrapped it up (!) and gave it to me on Christmas Day. I was very pleased and immediately christened it Ignatius. Ignatius is quite a free spirit and I felt that it was more appropriate that he (for it is indeed male) lived in our garden rather than in our house. I found him a nice spot in the garden within a flowerbed. I'm pleased to report that he has lived there happily since Christmas, looking very pleased with his environment despite the bad winter weather earlier in February. He has been absolutely no trouble whatsoever and he settled in immediately. He has overseen the spring bulbs coming to life and now has some dwarf daffodils for company.

I can't really introduce him properly without showing you a photograph. The Troy Family are shy of appearing on photographs on this blog but Ignatius appears to suffer no such qualms. So here he is.


Ignatius, the Ipswich Imp
His family tree shows a lot of crossbreeding with Gnomes. You can't see the tree in the photo.

Although I missed it at the time, this was my 50th posting. A big thanks to all my loyal followers that I have picked up along the way. Here's to the next 50.

22 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

He's a sturdy looking chap. I love the name too.

Unknown said...

LMAO, I note that he's tucked away in the back garden, rather than on full show out front!?

Troy said...

Debs - he appears well-fed. I suspect he takes some of the food we put out for the birds. It's an unusual name isn't it but it suits him.

Sarah - our back garden is fully fenced including a locked gate. He is more lively at night and I don't want him wandering off during the hours of darkness. If he was in our front garden someone might give him a helping hand in his travels.

Ladybird World Mother said...

!!! Reading your post was sure he was a plant, fish or maybe a small tree. Guffawed on seeing picture.
Love the name. Most noble. Or rather Gnom'ble.

Anonymous said...

He's a groovy looking little chap isn't he? He's got big feet though. Is that a Try family trait perhaps?

Troy said...

LWM - that's why I left the photo until the end!

Dave - Ignatius has a small body rather than big feet.
I have quite small feet and fairly short legs although fortunately they do reach the ground.

Lane Mathias said...

What a little star. Do you take him to games with you? It would be unfair not too:-)

Marian Dean said...

Love the name you have chosen for your new family member. Keep us updated on his antics won't you?

Love Granny

HelenMWalters said...

I realise now that I should have got four gnomes rather than four cats. So much less trouble.

Troy said...

Lane - I assume you mean Ignatius when you say what a little star. I will definitely take him to Wembley should we ever reach the promotion play-offs.

Granny - in terms of antics I suspect he will come in a poor fourth after myself, Mrs T. and T.J. unless I get a noctural nightcam on him.

Helen - I think gnomes quarrel once you get more than three together. They do however leave less mess in the garden and feed themselves. Some even go fishing (but not Ignatius).

Tim Atkinson said...

Named after St Ignatious Loyola of course. I didn't know he was an Ipswich supporter!

Trixie said...

You are very smart putting him in your back garden. Stealing gnomes is a big thing in Australia...but a fun thing we do. If you are planning on going on some travels for a few months or years..you nick a gnome from a strangers garden, then send the owners a postcard from the gnome from every place you visit..then on your return, you place the gnome back. Lucky I never did that, since my two year travels turned into 13!

Anonymous said...

It's Micky Stockwell with a beard!

Troy said...

Dotterel - I think it is fair to say that St Ignatius didn't get to many home games. But I'm sure he was a Tractor Boy at heart.

Trixie - great idea, but Ignatius can't write!

Rosy - I'm not familiar with Micky Stockwell being a "nouveau garcon de tracteur". I'm guessing heading the ball wasn't his strong point. I was going to write "reaching the high balls" but I've got some smutty readers who would giggle at that.

DJ Kirkby said...

Perhaps he would like to be friends with one of my friends on facebook, he is called 'Billy Gnomemates'...no seriously, he is there, go check.

Troy said...

DJ - I draw the line at buying Ignatius a laptop computer.

Dave said...

I see someone else claiming to be called Dave comments here. Can I make it clear the name is (c) and roaylties are due to me.

Kitty said...

He's looking pretty pleased with himself. Hope he doesn't turn into one of those travelling gnome types who disappear and then postcards from all over the world! x

cheshire wife said...

I hope that he is not going to kick tha ball around and damage your plants.

Troy said...

Dave - it is a bit confusing but I can cope. When I work out what "roaylties" are I'll make sure you get them.

Kitty - he should look pleased, he's got himself a good home.

cheshire wife - Troy Junior is quite capable of destroying plants without Ignatius's help.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I considered getting a relative of his for my husband for Christmas, but I was concerned that my cats might attack him. Ignatius is a handsome dude and looks quite happy with his new home.

Troy said...

SVB - Despite his placid appearance, Ignatius has a pugnacious streak when it comes to cats. I can't speak for his relative but I would suspect that he could have held his own in a fight with any cats. Perhaps next Christmas you'll give him a home?