Friday 20 February 2009

THE FAMILY HAS A CHUCKLE, OR IN FACT TWO

A TROY ENTERTAINMENT REVIEW

If you’d told me ten years ago where I’d be spending this Friday afternoon I would have laughed. Laughed at you that is, rather than laughed at the event. However having an eight year old son does at times change one’s entertainment choices. So Friday lunchtime saw the Troy family get into my car for the short journey across to Felixstowe and its Spa Pavilion. And what were we going to see there? None other than the Chuckle Brothers in “Chuckle Trek, the Lost Generation”. Now this viewing did come with a recommendation – from Mrs Troy no less, who had previously taken Troy Junior last year to see the Chuckle Brothers at the Ipswich Regent Theatre. She came back full of praise for them. I’ve watched them a few times with Troy Junior on the TV and must admit I have chuckled at them more than I expected.

It was a beautiful spring-like afternoon at Felixstowe. The Spa Pavilion sits on the seafront at Felixstowe and today the sea was calm and the sun was shining. It looked quite tropical in fact:

We had a picnic lunch, skimmed a few flat stones into the sea then bought some popcorn and settled down in the auditorium. I looked around, the average age was seven or eight, with a sprinkling of dads and many more mums. The lights went down and various space theme tunes were played and the show began. I won’t spoil the “plot” but Capt. James T Burke of the USS Exercise is short of crew. The Chuckle Brothers, Paul and Barry, are beamed up onboard, they boldly go where no one has gone for some while, they cause mayhem along the way but ultimately defeat the enemy robots lead by Dark Wader. It did what it said on the tin – we chuckled. In fact we laughed a lot, both the kids and the parents. It was very silly but in a pleasingly silly way. At one stage they invited three fathers and one mother to join them on stage. Mrs Troy and I slid down in our chairs whilst Troy Junior pointed to us. We were relieved not to be chosen. With the slapstick that followed we were increasingly relieved. At the end of that scene, when they said the four volunteers would each be getting a Suzuki moped, surplus due to the recession, we were disappointed rather than relieved.

Troy enjoyed himself, Mrs Troy enjoyed herself and Troy Junior enjoyed himself. What a pleasant way to spend a school half-term afternoon. If you are looking for a matinee show to entertain your young children you could do a lot worse than to boldly go along to watch the Chuckle Brothers. They are doing a nationwide tour.

24 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

Oh I love these two!! Watch with children and end up laughing harder than them... will certainly take a trip to see them if they come this way... will check out our local theatres. Glad you all had fun.

Lane Mathias said...

Sounds like a good afternoon. Shame about the Suzukis:-)

I have a soft spot for Felixstowe and on a day like today, it must have been lovely.

Hmm - I see a beach walk coming on this weekend:-)

Troy said...

LWM - do check it out and have a chuckleful afternoon.

Lane - Felixstowe is a much underrated resort. We regularly pop over there - 20 minutes by car and we're on the beach. The weekend weather forecast is looking good so enjoy your beach walk.

Kitty said...

We have a couple of DVDs of their live shows - the kids love them. So glad it was enjoyable for you all - next stop Christmas panto? ;-) x

Marian Dean said...

A definite to take the grandchildren to then when it is on near here! Thanks for the recommendation.I am sometimes wary of these new fangled comedians, as they can get too near the edge in decency, but these two sound fine.
Felixstowe sounds a fine place too, not had the opportunity to visit there. So many nice spots in the UK... why go abroad? Oh I remember now, for the sun!
We shall be wrapping up well today and take the air in Bexhill on Sea along the prom'.
Love Granny

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

It sounds like you all had a wonderful day, and certainly one that Troy Junior, as well as yourselves, will always remember.

It's amazing how many experiences you have/try when you have young children.

Tim Atkinson said...

To me!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Sounds like a fun day.

Hadriana's Treasures said...

I'm sure I've told you that our wedding reception was in Harwich? Wedding in Colchester...wedding breakfast or lunch to be more accurate in Dedham. Next anniversary Felixstowe? There's a thought...

Leigh Forbes said...

The small boy loves the Chuckle Brothers, as only a small boy can. It must have been great to see them live. Glad you had a good time!

Troy said...

Kitty - Christmas panto? That's behind us...oh, no it isn't, oh yes it is!

GotW - I think the Chuckle Brothers are old fangled. There are several nice spots on the Suffolk coastline worth visiting.

Debs - yes, parenthood is a "whole new ballgame"

Dotterel - struggling to understand your comment. I'm a great fan of verbs.

Suzanne - I've had better days you understand, but it was a pleasant experience.

Hadriana - I've seen the blue plaque on the wall there. For an anniversary you might also consider Southwold on the Suffolk coast.

Leigh - I'm lucky that I'm approaching second childhood (and some people think I never left the first one).

Troy said...

Doterrel - Mrs Troy has now explained your comment to me.
To you!

HelenMWalters said...

Glad to hear the Troys had a good day out!

Anonymous said...

My mum likes them. But Amy isn't keen. I went to Felixstowe once to the docks, I used to work for Rothmans and we went to see some of our containers coming in! Very exciting it was too.

CJ xx

Troy said...

Helen - thanks for calling by.

CJ - you must get a lot of cigarettes in one of those containers. Perhaps they should a health warning on the outside?

Sir Bruin said...

I did work part time at the Spa Pavilion some years ago. Sadly, I didn't do any of the Chuckle Brothers' shows. I did, however, have to point a follow spot at The Care Bears and Henry's Cat. In those days you got the matinee on a Saturday afternoon and then you had to go through it all again in the evening. What fun!

DJ Kirkby said...

I have never heard of them! They sound like fun though.

Troy said...

Sir Bruin - I'm thinking that a "follow spot" must have been quite hard work, needing constant concentration.

DJ - I'm surprised, they seem to be on CBBC all the time.

Sir Bruin said...

It most certainly needed a lot of concentration. Hot summer evenings standing next to a 3KW lamp were a bit of a trial sometimes as well. I did get paid to see some good shows though. One in particular that sticks in my mind was Des O'Connor. Whether you like him or not, he is very good at what he does and is a complete gentleman. He bought drinks for all the crew after the show!

Anonymous said...

Troy - it was a long time ago, 1993 I think.

Just wanted to add, the tractors on my blog are old and new. Could be his and hers I suppose!

Thanks,
CJ xx

Trixie said...

No matter how much you rave about the chuckle brothers...I'd prefer to stick pins in my eyes than watch them. Slapstick is not my thing! Can't stand the blighters! lol.

Troy said...

Trixie - if you see my response to Suzanne above "I've had better days" but it was quite enjoyable.
I thought "slapstick" was make-up a woman kept in her handbag?

Anonymous said...

I think you made me homesick with this post. I love British seaside towns. Great Yarmouth, Clacton, Southend, Blackpool are my favourites. I had a job once that took me to Blackpool for 2 days per week and I loved it. Seaside towns are like an escape for me. You cannot recreate the British seaside town anywhere else in the world. I'm not sure the CHuckle Brothers would be my first choice of entertainment but I bet watching it with kids is a treat.

Troy said...

Dave - Hi! You are the second Dave to comment on my blog, which is confusing (although you are both VERY welcome) - I'll just have to be vigilant when replying. I actually prefer the smaller seaside towns like Filey and Swanage to the larger ones. But then I am an old fart.